Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Confessions of Catherine De Medici

Since I am missing book club this month (to go to the beach) and happened to read a different book than what was assigned (oops!). I felt it would be appropriate to spend book club night blogging about the fantastic book I just finished, The Confessions of Catherine De Medici by C.W. Gortner.


Let me begin by saying my Catherin De Medici knowledge is limited. I have studied the 16th century in both high school and college, but we never spent much time on the French Royalty.

That being said, I found myself empathizing with the historically ruthless queen. I thoroughly enjoyed how Gortner gave her the benefit of the doubt (maybe because I often do the same). She is handed trail after trail and deals with each one as any human would, the best way she sees possible.

Everyone can related to this character, from her dreams, ideals and fight to protect her bloodline to her genuine interest in her adoptive country. I strongly believe Catherine did try her hardest to steer France in the right direction.

I think the most poignant note is the Afterward, where Gortner described Henri IV rule and attributes it to Catherine.

Great book! I highly recommend it!