Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Easy Peasy Thai

I am really in a Thai mood this week! Tonight Jay and I had Thai food and tomorrow I am going out to a Thai place with my mom. Tonight’s dish was a little tame for my liking because Jay is not a fan of spicy food… good thing I have tomorrow to get whatever I want :)

Like many of my more recent meals, this one calls for chicken, frozen vegetables, sauce and quinoa.

P1030619

After watching our house guest make Thai food the other week, I had to incorporate some frozen Zucchini. This is the first time I have used frozen Zucchini but will definitely not be the last. It is so much easier just to pour from a bag and honestly I could not tell the difference. Plus, frozen veggies are a lot cheaper and contain the same nutrients as fresh. So if I can get away with it, I cook with frozen veggies.

I should have known when I let Jay pick the sauce at the store that this would be a tame dish. I prefer the Trader Joe’s Thai Red Curry Sauce over the Yellow Curry Sauce we had tonight, but you win some you lose some.

P1030507P1030622

Now, you will be amazed with the directions, so simple!! I can confidently call this a 20 minute meal!!

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup Quinoa
  • 2 cups Water
  • 1/2 cup of Chopped Frozen Onion
  • 3/4 cup of Frozen Peas
  • 1 cup Frozen Sliced Zucchini
  • 6 chicken tenders 
  • 3 tbsp. of Canola Oil
  • 1 jar (11 oz.) Thai sauce of your choosing

Directions:

  1. Chop chicken into bite-size pieces.
  2. Combine Canola Oil, Chicken and Chopped Onion in a pan on high. Cook until chicken is no longer pink.
  3. Measure and rinse 1 cup of Quinoa while bringing 2 cups of water to a boil on the stove.
  4. Toast Quinoa on high heat for about 3 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
  5. Once water is boiling, pour the water over the toasted Quinoa. Once it comes to a rolling boil, put on simmer for about 15 minutes.
  6. Once Chicken is no longer pink, add the Frozen Vegetables. Cook for about 3 minutes.
  7. Add the Thai sauce and reduce to medium heat for 10 minutes.
  8. Once Quinoa has absorbed all the water, combine with Chicken, serve and enjoy!!!

P1030623

The final dish was tame and delicious and paired nicely with my Miller Light.

Do you cook with frozen vegetables? What is your favorite frozen veggie dish?